CAMPUS: Pretoria Campus (PK-G8)
SUPERVISOR: Pretoria Campus Principal
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviours as we strive to live these ideals.
Child Protection Statement
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.
INSPIRE LEARNING AND BUILD OUR BETTER WORLD The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
• We are better when we act together.
• Our differences make us stronger.
• Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
• Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team
AISJ is dedicated to providing a student-centered, collaborative, and transdisciplinary approach to learning. Such an approach will best prepare and empower students to become responsible lifelong learners and competent, compassionate individuals. Teaching partners will have a strong understanding of best practices including a familiarity with learning sciences. AISJ is a school committed to improved justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion for all. AISJ bases its instruction in conceptual, connected and personalized learning.
The teacher partner (TP) works alongside the lead teacher to support and enhance AISJ’s learning program. The teaching partner works in collaboration for creating a positive and flexible elementary classroom that promotes learning including personal growth. He/she establishes an effective rapport with students and develops positive relationships with AISJ community members. The teacher partner works closely with the lead teacher in most aspects of teaching and learning that takes place in the classroom. He/she incorporates AISJ’s curriculum into the daily schedule, collaborates regularly with the other members of the team to plan integrated units and activities and works to promote the educational needs of students. The teacher partner should be familiar with all school procedures and have a basic knowledge of the full range of age groups (PK-8) to ensure a cohesive approach is followed. Familiarity with the school philosophy and mission statement is essential. As a teacher partner at AISJ you will have an opportunity to work with students from around the world. You will learn about research-based practices in education, how to assess and use data to plan for instruction to meet the needs of each child.
• Previous experience working with children
• An excellent level of spoken and written English
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Enthusiastic, creative, and committed to teaching children
• A flexible person who works well in a team situation
• A willingness to learn new approaches and methods
Preferred skills and experience:
• A degree/diploma or working towards a teaching qualification
• Teacher certification or working towards
• Experience in working in schools and educational environments
• Experience in technology software
• Assists in creating a learning environment where children can develop their full potential and experience growth
• Assists with the general preparation and organization of supplies and materials
• Assists the lead teacher in teaching all subjects
• Establishes effective communication with parents and students e.g. emails, phone calls
• Identifies and works with students to support their needs on an individual and/or small group basis
• Supervises students in and out of classroom activities during the school day
• Participates in curriculum and staff development opportunities as required
• Maintains a high level of professional competence through in-service education and professional growth activities
• Helps prepare classroom publications and teaching materials under the guidance of the lead teacher
• Supervises and attends to assigned duties
• Assumes the role of the lead teacher in the lead teacher’s absence
• Other tasks as determined by the lead teacher or principal Work
Hours 7:10 am to 3:30 pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and 7:10 am to 4:00 pm on Wednesdays
In order to complete the AISJ application process, p
lease click the link and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored on a secure database and will be used to complete a quick reference check on vacancy compatibility.