We seek to appoint a Laboratory Assistant in the School of Molecular and Cell Biology. The incumbent will be responsible for the provision of technical support in the teaching laboratories of the School.
▪ Minimum requirement is a Matric certificate with Physical Science and Life Science.
▪ Previous laboratory experience and a keen interest in the biological sciences are advantageous.
▪ A relevant first aid certificate will be an advantage.
▪ Diligent and careful worker with sound organizational skills.
▪ Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential. Basic Computer Literacy is required.
▪ Driver’s License.
Key job functions include
▪ Liaise with the senior technicians concerning requirements and layout of teaching material for practical classes.
▪ Fully involved with all support services required for the preparation, presentation, execution and completion of laboratory practical classes. To include laying out, setting up, checking and cleaning equipment, preparation and dispensing of solutions, assisting with disposal of chemical waste, and maintaining benches in various research laboratories.
▪ Regular unpacking, checking and repacking of student laboratory lockers after washing and sorting glassware.
▪ Maintains order in the chemical and glassware store/s.
▪ Clearing and cleaning after practical classes, messenger duties, laundering of lab coats, and other associated general laboratory duties.
▪ Assist with set-out and clean-up of School functions.
▪ To undertake OHS&E duties as appropriate.