Anglo American has a portfolio of world-class mining operations. We mine, process, move and market the essential ingredients that enable a cleaner, more connected world and that meet fast growing consumer-driven demands for products from smartphones to electric cars. Our basic materials build homes, offices, railways and airports, and our diamonds fulfil people’s dreams.
We are at the forefront of change in our industry; innovating with purpose – pushing boundaries to create new opportunities and demonstrate our values. As the custodians of precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore, coal and nickel – we rely on our high-performing teams to combine integrity, creativity and smart innovation with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
We are looking to hire an entry level Laboratory Assistant into the Iron Ore team.
You’ll be supporting the lab staff in a variety of ways. This is a hands on, manual role.
• Offload samples from the trucks upon receiving samples from the mines
• Check all the received samples against the analytical request form
• Pack batches onto the plastic pallets
• Moving scheduled batches to be processed to the receiving shelter using the forklift.
• Remove Remnants, pulp and coarse archive samples from the laboratory to the sample store
• Discard remnants, back up and analytical splits into the waste bin according to instructions from the supervisor
• Sort, Package and Store archives according to Clients to get them ready to return to the mines.
• Load coarse and pulp archive samples to the trucks (returning them to the clients).
• Store back up samples in building 12 according to the clients
• Check samples in the box after micro splitting, tick and sign the batch report for samples that will be dispatched to analytical
• Load completed samples onto the bakkie to dispatch to the analytical laboratory
• Ensure that external check samples are sorted according to customer and project and are packaged into boxes before dispatching to the external laboratory
• Report all deviations on sample receipt to the supervisor
• Follow the sample receipt procedures
• Receive consumables from Suppliers e.g. boxes, plastics and bottles, and pack them onto the shelves.
• Collect consumables from Stores
• Ensure that the storage area is tidy and clean.
• Report problems with own attendance to the Production Analyst
• Continuous Risk Assessment books must be signed
• Attend and participate in green area meetings
• All incidents are reported within shift
• Grade 12
• Forklift driving license is very advantageous
• Good written and spoken English
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programs, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.