View Vacancy – Entry Clearance Officer X 8 (35/22 PTA)
Main Purpose of Job:
To consider and assess visa applications from persons subject to UK Immigration Control in line with UK Immigration Rules and policy, thus helping to ensure that the UK is kept safe and secure. Providing value for money to visa applicants by endeavouring to make the right decision on each visa application first time every time and ensuring visa applications are processed within agreed timescales. Act in accordance with the Code of Conduct and Home Office Values at all times.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assessing the full range of visa applications and interviewing applicants in a fair, objective and courteous manner. Making quick and pragmatic decisions to issue and refuse visas in accordance with the Immigration Rules, and within agreed time-scales.
• Acting on feedback from management to improve decision quality with a view to making the right decision on every visa application first time every time.
• As you settle in the role, share efficiency savings or suggestions for continuous improvements with managers and colleagues
• Acting with integrity and in accordance with the local code of conduct and Home Office Values. Reporting any incidents that cause the applicant to have integrity concerns
• If selected take on any extra roles and responsibilities to support Entry Clearance Managers in ensuring the efficient and effective running of the visa section
• Pass a comprehensive AODM training course on receipt of security clearance
• Computer literate; able to use the basic desktop functions (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Explorer)
• Accurate typing skills of at least 30 words per minute
• Fluent written and spoken English. Other languages will be an advantage
• Integrity and honesty
• The ability to work in a team, with a positive energetic and friendly approach
• A high level of customer service skills
• The ability to work unsupervised and to prioritise workloads where required
Learning and development opportunities:
• In house training and mentoring will be provided
• Use of Visa Management databases and tools
• Training in document security, information protection, keeping children safe, all aspects of Entry Clearance decision making, equality and diversity
The British High Commission pays in full for the Key Care Plus option on Discovery Health for staff including spouses/partners and dependants.
• Once you have successfully completed your probation the British High Commission will contribute 9 % of your monthly salary to a Provident Fund.
• Annual leave entitlement of 25 days
• Working hours per week of 36.5
Security Clearance Level required: SC
Please note that only nationals of UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand who have resided within these countries within the last five years are likely to meet this requirement.
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
• Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
• Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
• The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
• Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
• All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
• The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
• Obtain the relevant permit
• Pay fees for the permit
• Make arrangements to relocate
• Meet the costs to relocation
• The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
• Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
• Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.