Business Unit: Discovery Bank
Technical Support Specialist: Database Administrator
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best.
As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating – not only to achieve financial success, but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
About Discovery Bank
We’re the world’s first behavioural bank, designed with our clients in mind. We haven’t changed just one thing, we’ve changed everything. Our main goal is to improve the financial health of our clients by helping change how they work with their money. Through Vitality Money, our clients will learn more about what it means to be financially healthy and get rewarded for managing their money well. If you are a problem solver, always questioning the way things are done, passionate about doing what is right, have the ability to change direction quickly when needed and love to dazzle your clients, Discovery Bank could be the place for you.
We welcome inspired, positive and committed people to apply for jobs in Discovery Bank where you will be liberated to realise your full potential.
The Technical Support Specialist: Database Administrator is responsible for the administration, configuration, performance, integrity and security of the Bank’s SQL databases that host multiple business applications and systems. This requires interfacing with various IT stakeholders (infrastructure support, production operations, business systems, IT security etc.) in ensuring comprehensive operational support for the database systems. This role is also focussed on the rapid resolution of incidents as part of the Bank’s 24/7 support capability.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
• Be part of a team providing 24/7 database administration support.
• Configures and maintains database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
• Monitors capacity usage of the databases and performs forecasting to proactively provide sufficient resources for the database systems.
• Adheres to the change and release processes for infrastructure and software upgrades ensuring that implementation and testing is done compliantly and methodically.
• Maintains versions and upgrades to the database software at levels that are supported by the DBMS OEMs and the application software OEMs
• Maintains all documentation regarding configuration and procedures for databases, supporting systems software installation and operational support.
• Participates in the technical knowledge review process ensuring that quality content is published for internal and external consumption.
• Performs root cause analysis, performance tuning, optimisation and other service improvement activities ensuring optimal database performance. Continuously identifies areas for improvement for efficiency
• Logs and acts on all incidents according to business expectations and escalates all critical statuses and issues as well as provides recommendations
• Proactively identifies interconnected problems and develops and models alternative solutions. Also suggests contingency plans to resolve value chain conflicts.
Programme and Project Support.
• Provides support to the Programme Office in the build and implementation lifecycle of new services and changes to related services including support for non-production environments
Compliance, Governance, Risk and Control Processes
• Liaises with Change and Release Management in the planning of changes and releases of services in scope.
• Partake and assist in the build and maintenance of the CMDB and ensure that the logical view of services is maintained.
• Provides input to periodic operational reports according agreed intervals (e.g. daily, weekly and monthly reports).
• Identifies, documents and publishes knowledge for sharing with internal staff. Participate in the technical knowledge review processes and in ensuring the quality of published content.
• Works with internal colleagues to ensure they have the appropriate information and knowledge at hand to be successful in what they do.
• Proactively identifies interconnected problems, develop and model alternative solutions as well as contingency plans to resolve value chain conflicts.
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with IT stakeholders to ensure compliance and establishing a healthy feedback channel.
• Continuously identifies improvement areas that will enhance efficiency.
• Ensures that tickets in the ITSM tool are attended to all times and reflect the correct status.
• Contributes to the Disaster Recovery Planning activities and tests for the databases and systems
• Participates in the design, planning and testing activities for the resilience and recovery of in scope applications and systems in support of business continuity and disaster recovery functions.
Education and Experience
• Relevant Tertiary qualification.
• At least 6 years’ experience in SQL database administration support
• Experience in Oracle database administration would be an advantage.
• ITIL Foundation certification is an added advantage.
• Experience in application or technical support in a corporate environment.
• Previous experience in the banking or financial services industry will be advantageous.
Technical Skills or Knowledge
• Technical support strategies and approaches.
• Technical documentation creation and maintenance.
• Database Management systems.
• Incident Management and Problem Management procedures
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.