Business Unit: Discovery Invest
Function: Actuarial Sciences
Discovery – Invest | Actuarial (Technical Marketing)
Discovery’s core purpose is to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. We seek out and invest in exceptional individuals who understand and support our core purpose, and whose own values align with those of Discovery. Our fast-paced and dynamic environment enables smart, self-driven people to be their best. As global thought leaders, Discovery is passionate about innovating in order to not only achieve financial success, but to ignite positive and meaningful change within our society.
Discovery Invest is an ever growing fast-paced and dynamic environment that provides innovative products. This environment thrives on customer engagement and customer experience as well as mutually beneficial relationships with our brokers and other stakeholders. It is important for our employees to provide world class service to our internal and external clients, thereby ensuring long and sustainable relationships.
If you have an entrepreneurial mind-set, a passion for innovation and can bring strategic projects to life, then Discovery Invest can liberate you to realise your full potential. The role is based in Johannesburg and will comprise of marketing, technical marketing, data analysis, investments research and distribution responsibilities.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
• Working with product development to develop solutions for clients and tools for intermediaries in an environment where Discovery competes head-to-head with other product providers.
• Developing research material that can be used to position Discovery as a thought leader in the market.
• Compiling material that can be rolled out through PR campaigns and to technical intermediaries.
• Designing the marketing campaigns for both clients and brokers and a framework to measure the effectiveness of different marketing campaigns.
• Developing actuarial level papers.
• Compiling communications and technical presentations for intermediaries.
• Presenting to various intermediaries on technical product information.
• Liaising with investment specialists, consultants, brokers and financial advisers in handling technical product queries and performing calculations.
• Working with the new business team and the Chief Digital Officer to propose and help build digital solutions for clients and brokers and bring actuarial insights into these solutions.
• Internal training to invest staff on invest products, technical details and calculations.
• Working within the product development and the Digital team to establish a position of brand leadership.
• The candidate must be able to liaise at different levels and build relationships. This liaison will include interactions with:
• Discovery sales consultants, agents and IFA intermediaries
• Back-office operations
• Training teams
• Marketing services
• Product development
• Distribution heads
• Discovery management and executives
Personal Attributes and Skills
• Drives Results
• Values Driven
• Learns on the Fly
• Instils Trust
• People Savvy
• Problem Solver
• Manages Complexity
• Business Acumen
• The ability to multitask various projects effectively
• Ability to plan, organize and deliver on individual deliverables.
• Ability to deal with pressure, tight deadlines and setbacks in order to deliver results and meet customer expectations
• Must be able to present and communicate information effectively
• Data Analytical Skills – ability to understand and work with big data sets in order to achieve desired outcome. Excel proficient.
• Self-starter – able to show initiative and drive projects to completion with guidance.
Education and Experience
• Completed degree with a strong analytical focus in Actuarial Science / Mathematical Statistics/ Engineering, Business Science or related qualification
• Track record of innovation, delivery and performance
• Minimum of 2 – 3 years working experience within an Investment Technical Marketing environment or similar Industry
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.